Local groups not directly connected with BBUG but do have our support.
Council on the Ageing Victoria (COTA)
Council on the Ageing Victoria is a not-for-profit organisation run for, and by, people over 50. COTA’s main roles are:
- Policy and Representation: Research and policy development on issues affecting older people; advocacy on behalf of older people.
- Education and Training: Positive ageing and health promotion programs.
- Recognition of older people: Promoting the diversity of older people and their contributions to their families and communities.
- Information: Providing information to older people, and the community.
BENEFITS OF CYCLING Riding a bicycle is an excellent way to exercise for any age but it has special benefits for seniors:
- Weight bearing exercise eases loads on all joints
- It is easy to begin with short distances and build up slowly
- Aerobic activity reduces some ageing
- It lifts the spirits to smell the flowers and trees and hear the birds
- It helps to control the weight creep as we mature
- And it helps us feel younger. A proven way to cardiovascular fitness, cycling reduces the risk of heart disease and helps in cases of asthma, depression, arthritis and hypertension
All riders are encouraged to join Council on the Aging (COTA) Victoria.
We also recommend that riders consider joining Bicycle Victoria for the insurance and services they offer.
Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre
Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre Bike Ride in company. 9.30am-11.30am, 2nd and 4th Monday each month. Meet in carpark at the centre, great outdoor exercise, BYO snack and drink. No cost. Details 9890 2467.
Rotary River Ride
The annual Rotary River Ride typically departs from Hays Paddock near the intersection of the Eastern Freeway and Burke Rd - Melway 45 J1.
Kooyong - Victorian Head Office
454 Glenferrie Road, Kooyong Vic. 3144
COTA, CDGBR and Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre: their calendars
Note: always check the details directly with the organisers just in case changes or errors have occurred. In the calendar below, click on the little down arrow (far right hand side, past the Agenda tab), to select your view of the world. See also our more wide ranging calendar on the Newsletter page.