The following is a list of useful links frequently used by this site.
- Bicycle Network Victoria with 40,000+ members is the body that represents Victorian cyclists and organises events such as:
- Around the Bay in a Day
- Ride to Work Day
- Bike Path Discovery Day
- The Great Victorian Bike Ride
- Its web site provides useful information for cyclists covering events, campaigns, cycling Q&A, glossary, list of BUGs and clubs and much more.
- Wikipedia: Cycling in Melbourne and Victoria has extensive information on Melbourne's trails including maps.
- VicRoads also provides a series of pdf maps showing the Principal Bicycle Network of on-road bike lanes for Melbourne and regional cities and towns. The PBN can also be viewed in Google Earth by downloading the PBN KMZ.
- A note on drinking and cycling.
- VicRoads Road rules for Bicycles
- Bicycle Network's page with handy links to related pages for all your laws and queries.
- Penalties for cyclists - VicRoads page for up-to-date fines
- The Cycling Promotion Fund is a Bicycle Industries Australia Ltd initiative established in 1999 to help the bicycle industry take collective action to increase bicycle use. The fundamental aim of the fund is to promote cycling in Australia by building strategic partnerships and funding and supporting campaigns which promote bicycle use.
- Railtrails Australia is a national organisation that promotes the preservation of old rail corridors for alternative public uses such as cycling, horse riding and bush walking. Their web site provides the latest information about the stage of development of the various rail trails in Victoria and other states.
- City of Boroondara also has a page for cycling
- Mr Sheldon Brown (dec.) - cycling legend and walking database
- Australian Bicycle Council and ABC at Austroads
- Good info in the City Rider Guide from Urban Bicyclist
- The Definitive Guide to Safer Cycling - from the UK, but most concepts apply here
Subscribe to these RSS feeds
- Boroondara BUG newsletter RSS feed
- Google bike news in Australia
- Treadly and Me - A local blogger
- Maroondah BUG - Yahoo group
- Moreland BUG - website
- Yarra BUG
- Latest Activity on Melbourne Cyclist
- Melbourne Weather
- aus.bicycle Google Group
- Bin the bike ban!
BUGs are the grass roots of cycling and always need help. Yes that means you.
We keep in touch with Vic BUG chat. Why don't you subscribe as well?
In order and going clockwise around Boroondara - starting in the north:
- Darebin BUG
- Banyule BUG
- Manningham BUG
- Whitehorse Cyclists
- Monash BUG
- Stonnington BUG
- Yarra BUG
Futher away BUGs
Commutes in Melbourne - photo sets
- Passing over 100 cars in 5 minutes - Avenida Niemeyer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - lyrics: Gorillaz, song: Dare
- Commute to Lonely Planet - lyrics: INXS, song: Just Keep Walking
- Copenhagen style bike lines
- Ride 2 work day - Sydney - luckily we're in Melbourne
- Kris Holm unicycling
- Magpies in action - lyrics: Smash Mouth, song: Walkin' On The Sun
- Cycling Australia - a handlebar-cam view of bicycle paths around Boroondara and Melbourne
- Why bicycles do not fall: Arend Schwab at TEDxDelft - An explanation of how a bicycle stays upright
- Mikael Colville-Andersen at TEDxCopenhagen - The business of fear and riding a bicycle
- 5 things to check on a new bicycle
Taking the kids to school
- Treadly and Me - somewhere round East Malvern
- Vic Bike Trails - somewhere round the Monash Freeway/Tollway
- Chris Star - Beer Can Hill, Northcote
- Surly Dave - About the Bike - somewhere out west
- Damian M - at a gig somewhere
- Improving your car driving
- Boroondara Bushwalkers Inc - also run rides
- Maroondah Bushwalking Club
- Flexicar - car sharing
- GoGet - car sharing
- Community bicycle program
- Public Transport Users Association
- Report a smoky vehicle
Ride preparation information sites
Get the latest forecast before you head off on your ride: